How it Works
Making custom clothing can be complicated… but the guiding principles are simple. No one’s body conforms to “standard sizing”. Comfort is important but so is silhouette, and so is drape It’s important to match the suit to the setting like where you’ll be when you wear it.
In Shop Fitting
- Schedule Your In Shop Fitting
- First Fitting: Begins with a conversation how you want to look and measurements with your personal clothier and payment.
- Second Fitting (4-6 Weeks Later): Custom suit arrives and we ensure a perfect fit. Any further alterations are done in house.
- Schedule & Receive Our Welcome Kit via Mail
- First Video Call Fitting: Discuss style and design with your personal clothier.
- Second Video Call Fitting: Measurement and customizations with your personal clothier.
- Third Video Call Fitting (4-6 Weeks Later): Custom suit arrives and we ensure a perfect fit. Any further alterations are done in house.
To craft the perfect custom suit, we need your help. Here’s what to expect, and how you can prepare for your fitting.
Let us tell you about the process
Stories, Ideas, & Examples
The first fitting really starts as a conversion about how you want to look. We want to know if you have a special occasion in mind, like a wedding or a banquet. Or if you simply need a good suit for business travel or treating yourself to something a bit more fun.
Bring ideas. A Pinterest board, your favorite Instagram feed, pages torn from Elle or GQ. Bring us pictures of what you like. Of what you want. Pictures of how you want to feel when you’re wearing your custom clothing.
Securing a perfect fit
Once we understand how you wish to look and feel, we compare that against existing patterns. And we take a few measurements.
But don’t worry … the measurements are taken fully-clothed.
What should you wear? Something comfortable, not too thick, not too loose. Jeans and a t-shirt are easy for us to work with. Cable-knit sweaters make things difficult.
Timing, Seating, and Logistics
All of this takes about 90 minutes. But please plan on 2 hours, just in case. If you are being fitted in shop, arrive a little bit early so that you can find a parking space and enjoy the sites of Pierpont Avenue.
Your fitting is essentially a one-on-one appointment between you and the Tailor Cooperative Personal Clothier … but yes, you can bring a friend. By all means! There are several seats at the fitting table and it can be helpful (and fun) to have a second opinion at-the-ready.
Commissioning your custom clothing
To begin crafting your custom clothing, we’ll need at least 60% of the total, at the end of your fitting.
The remainder can be paid when the items are finished.
We also have Gift Card options and can arrange payment plans if necessary. Just let us know in advance and we’ll gladly work with you.